Before we discuss the Private Security agency license, we need to know what private security agency is? Private Security agencies provide security services to other organizations. Private security agencies also provide training to security guards and such other persons who are deputed to work as a security agent. Operation of private security agencies is governed by The Private Security Agency Regulation Act, 2005. The Regulation is also known as PSARA. In this blog, we will discuss what is a private security agency license? eligibility, procedure, documents required to get a private security agency license as well as all other aspects of private security agency license.
What is the Private Security Agency all about?
Private Security agencies are those organizations who are involved in providing security services including training of security guards to any industrial or business undertaking or a company or any other person or property. Formation and Running of a Private security agency in India fall under the domain of Private Security Agency Regulations Act 2005 (PSARA). In order to safeguard against antisocial and antisocial elements, Government formed Private Security Agencies. As per PSARA, no person or private security agency can commence business or can provide security services without holding a Private Security Agency License.
PSARA regulates all aspects of the operation of Private Security agency business in India. PSARA extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and Kashmir. PSARA came into existence from the year 2005. The main purpose of the PSARA is to standardize the rights and duties of private security agencies and other issues.
Private Security Agency License
After the introduction of PSARA, security service providers are bound and required to obtain a license from the controlling authority. Security agencies who introduced after enforcement of the PSARA must obtain the security agency license prior to the commencement of business. Agencies that are operating without any license before the introduction of the PSARA are allowed to function for a period of one year from the date of introduction of the PSARA. Security agency license is provided under three categories and the same are listed below:
- License to operate security agency in 1 district.
- License to operate security agency in the 2-5 district.
How to obtain a Private Security Agency License?
As per the PSARA, no person shall be entitled to operate or start a private security agency business. No private security agency can provide private security outside India without obtaining the permission of the controlling authority. Any person wishes to commence a security agency business is required to obtain a license in India.
What is the eligibility criterion to obtain a Private Security Agency License?
To get the Private Security agency license any person has to fulfill certain eligibility criteria. Some category of people who are eligible to obtain a Private Security Agency license is listed below:
- The person or company who is not convicted of an offense in connection with promotion, formation or management of a company.
- The person or company should not be held by any competent court for any offense.
- The person or company does not have any links with any organization or association which is banned under any law on account of their activities.
- The person cannot be prohibited or terminated from government service on grounds of misconduct or moral turpitude.
What is the Procedure to Obtain a Private Security Agency License?
To obtain a Private Security Agency License, certain procedures and steps need to be followed. List of the steps is listed below:
- Filing of an application form – An application for acquiring private security agency license shall be made to Controlling Authority of the concerned state along with a specific form which has to be filled for this purpose.
- Submission of Affidavit – Applicant who seeks to obtain Private Security Agency license shall submit an affidavit incorporating details as mentioned by the Authority of the concerned state. The list is given below:
- Proof of address
- Certificate or document that provides evidence that no criminal case is filed against the applicant.
- Verification of Application – On receipt of the application, the Controlling Authority shall verify the application and after satisfaction Controlling Authority may grant a license or reject the license.
- Grant of license – After Controlling Authority grants the license then the agency is required to commence operations within six months of obtaining the license.
Fee for a Private Security Agency License
The government fee for obtaining security agency license is listed below:
- Private Security agency operating in one district is Rs 5000
- Private Security agency operating in one to five district is Rs 10000
- Private Security agency operating in the entire state is Rs 25000
Documents Required for a Private Security Agency License
List of the documents required for private security agency license is given below:
- Memorandum of understanding from security training institute.
- Logo of the security agency
- Identity card of all employees
- Detailed armed license
- Character verification of all the employees
- Uniform pattern.